Sunday, August 26, 2018

A July 2018 Flight into the Upper Yukon Valley

After months of adverse weather, the rain clouds cleared on a perfect day and I took complete advantage and headed up to my favorite landing spots on the upper Yukon.

The sky was alive with beautiful clouds, the water was low and the gravel perfect for landing.

The first pictures are en route to the Yukon, with the craggy granite tors of the White Mountains. Next come the Twin Lakes where a friend had to abandon part of his camp as a large Grizzly Bear made its way towards him on the narrow isthmus, now covered with water. Then, setting up my landing on this bar parallel to the river.

The next sequence are the environs of the Yukon Bar just below the Village of Beaver, where I took pains to photograph my airplane with a reflection, and also some interesting drift wood.

Finally, the Hodzana River - my favorite! I explored a number of bars, then landed. Then back home.












































1 comment:

  1. Peter, a great flight over lovely AK scenery of fall colors, great expanse. I esp. like the meandering river, #18, and copied it to my file of "photos by other people." Too bad the season and the engine are temporarily out, and too bad I wasn't in the back seat.

    ReplyDelete